Easy Cabbage Roll Casserole Recipe Tastes Like What Grandma Made by Donna John
Remember your grandma boiling cabbage leaves, stuffing them with a filling, rolling them and then (finally!) baking them in a tomato sauce? Busy moms don't have time for that. With this easy ground beef cabbage roll casserole recipe, you'll be rollin' out of the kitchen in no time.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 1 head cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chopped cabbage and water into a large pot. Cook until just tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook the ground beef and onion until meat is browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the paprika, onion powder, brown sugar, cayenne, tomato sauce, beef broth and rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Put half of the cabbage onto the bottom of a 13x9-inch casserole dish or 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Top with half of the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheeses.
- Repeat with another layer. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.