The Famous Red Velvet Cake Recipe With Cream Cheese Frosting Is What to Bake for Valentine's Day by 30Seconds Food
Who doesn't love a slice of red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting? Adams extract company made the "original" red velvet cake back in the 1920s. The Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City claims that it is the birthplace of this red cake and it was a popular menu item at the hotel in the '50s. So who knows? What we do know if that it is a classic cake recipe that has stood the test of time.
The cake is known for having red food coloring in the batter, which gives it the red color. The cake batter is also made with flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, sugar, oil, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, freshly brewed coffee and white vinegar. The cake bakes up super moist and tastes kind of like a chocolate cake.
You can use a tub of store-bought cream cheese frosting for this recipe or make homemade cream cheese frosting. Either way, this red velvet cake is sure to be a most-requested dessert recipe.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 - 2 cans cream cheese frosting
Here’s how to make it:
- Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa in a bowl. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine sugar, oil, eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, food coloring, coffee and vinegar. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet until combined. Divide between the two cake pans.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in pans about 10 minutes, then remove cake and allow to cool completely.
- Frost the cake with the cream cheese frosting.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.