Amish Shipwreck Casserole Recipe: A Hall of Fame Recipe Worth Repeating by Tiffany Zook
Take a step back in time this week and serve your family an old-fashioned meal. This vintage Amish recipe for shipwreck casserole is from Mrs. Martha Hoover on page 124 of the Weavertown School Family Cooking: A Collection of Amish and Mennonite Recipes. It's also one of the popular recipes at 30Seconds.
The ground beef casserole is made by layering onions and potatoes in a casserole dish. The vegetables are topped with uncooked (yes, don't cook it first!) ground beef, uncooked rice then celery and carrots. The tomato soup is combined with a can of water and poured over the top. Bake the layered casserole in the oven for about two hours.
You could use ground turkey instead of the ground beef in this Amish recipe. Use whatever potatoes you like best. Russet or Yukon gold are good choices. Serve this ground beef budget recipe with a salad and fresh vegetable. The leftovers reheat well for dinner the next day.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 10 minutes
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 1 pound ground beef, uncooked
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 can (10 ounces) condensed tomato soup (plus a can filled with water)
Here's how to make it:
- Butter a casserole dish and layer with sliced onions.
- Add thinly sliced potatoes.
- Over potatoes spread the ground beef.
- Layer with uncooked rice and top with a layer of chopped celery and carrots. As each layer is added, season with salt and pepper and paprika, to taste.
- Combine the soup with an equal amount of water and pour over all. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 2 hours.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
White Rice $2 & Up
Condensed Tomato Soup $2 & Up
Baking Dishes $10 & Up
Paprika $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.