Easy Chicken Recipes: This Chicken Chow Mein Casserole Recipe Has Its Roots in Mayberry by Donna John
Yep, Andy Griffith, Aunt Bee and the whole gang in Mayberry have probably enjoyed this easy chow mein casserole recipe – and it's been in my recipe arsenal since the early '90s.
The original recipe is from Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook, and calls for butter and canned mushrooms. If you like canned mushrooms, go for it (be sure to drain them first). For me, fresh mushrooms that have been cooked until soft are the way to go, as is olive oil instead of butter. For the chicken, four large chicken thighs boiled until done and shredded works well. You can serve this over rice or on its own with a vegetable.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- olive oil or butter
- 1 package (8 ounces) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 - 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 large can or bag chow mein noodles
Here's how to make it:
1. If using fresh mushrooms, saute them in a little olive oil or butter until soft. You could also throw them in with the celery and onions and skip this step.
2. Cook the onions and celery in a little olive oil or butter until soft.
3. Add the soups, cashews, shredded chicken and 3/4 of the chow mein noodles. Mix well. Season with black pepper, to taste.
4. Pour into a casserole dish. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 30 minutes.
5. Sprinkle the remaining chow mein noodles on top and bake 10 minutes more.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Chow Mein Noodles $3 & Up
Cashews $6 & Up
Cream of Mushroom Soup $1 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.