Easy Russian Tea Cakes Recipe: You'll Go Nuts for This Delicious Christmas Cookie Recipe for the Holidays by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Host of KSCU 103.3 FM LIVE Food Talk Radio S.F. Bay Area
Vary the texture and flavor of this Russian tea cookies recipe by playing with different nuts. Macadamia, cashew, hazelnut, pecans or black walnuts are delicious choices. Make sure they're toasted and finely ground before mixing them into the dough.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 to 12 minutes
Total time: 20 to 22 minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar, for coating
Here's how to make them:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand beater, combine the butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla. Mix about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour, nuts and salt until dough holds together, about an additional minute.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake approximately 10-12 minutes in a preheated 400-degree F oven, or until set but not browned. Carefully remove from cookie sheet and place onto a wire rack to cool enough to handle.
- Gently roll the warm cookies in a shallow bowl filled with powdered sugar. Cool on wire rack with a sheet of parchment under for easy cleanup. Roll in powdered sugar one additional time after they have completely cooled.