Wake Up to This Easy French Toast Casserole Recipe With Pecan Butter Topping by Chef Gigi
Entertaining during the morning or early afternoon hours? This decadent French toast breakfast or brunch casserole recipe with pecan butter topping recipe will keep you where you need to be – with your guests and out of the kitchen.
Prep Time: 15 minutes (plus overnight)
Cook Time: 30 to 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 to 55 minutes
- 1 loaf Brioche bread, day old and cut into large cubes
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup currants, soaked in 1/2 cup amaretto or water (optional)
Pecan Butter Topping
- 1/2 pound salted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- maple syrup, warm
- fresh pears, sliced (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- Generously butter a 9x13-inch high-sided ovenproof baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half and half, milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, currants and their soaking liquid, and spices. With a whisk, whip until blended and slightly aerated.
- Place large cubes of the Brioche bread into the mixture and quickly, but gently, toss making sure all are cubes are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon the bread into the prepared baking dish and drizzle any remaining egg mixture on the bread making sure the bread is doused well. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- To make the pecan butter topping, combine all the ingredients well.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Top the casserole with the butter pecan topping. Cover with foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until eggs are puffed and warmed through. Remove the foil during the last 10 minutes of bake time. Serve with the warmed maple syrup and fresh, sliced pears.
Photo: Simply Recipes
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Coconut Sugar $5 & Up
Granulated Sugar $3 & Up
Vanilla $4 & Up
Cinnamon $3 & Up
Nutmeg $4 & Up
Cloves $4 & Up
Brown Sugar $3 & Up
Currants $5 & Up
Pecans $4 & Up
Light Corn Syrup $2 & Up
Ginger $4 & Up
Maple Syrup $6 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.