Creamy Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes Recipe With Bacon: Everyone Will Go Back for Seconds by Chef Gigi
Looking for a flavorful new side dish? Try this delicious buttermilk mashed potatoes recipe with crispy bacon and scallions. This is not your typical mashed potatoes recipe. The buttermilk elevates the potatoes, and the bacon and scallions bring extra flavor and texture to the dish.
This easy side dish recipe has only eight simple ingredients: russet potatoes, buttermilk, butter, crème fraîche, kosher salt, white pepper, bacon and scallions.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 to 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 to 55 minutes
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 8 ounces crème fraîche
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 pound bacon, cut into 1-inch slices, cooked and drained (reserve drippings)
- 1 cup scallions, cleaned and diagonally sliced
- Store leftovers in a container in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave.
- These potatoes freeze well.
Here's how to make it:
- Place potatoes in a large heavy bottomed stock pot with cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Boil until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Heat the bacon drippings in a skillet and quickly add the scallions. Toss until lightly browned and crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer scallions to paper towels with a slotted spoon to drain. Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Over medium heat, continue to cook, stirring once, until potatoes dry from excess moisture, about 1 minute.
- While the potatoes are drying, place the buttermilk and butter in a microwavable glass bowl. Heat on high until warm, about 45-60 seconds.
- Add warm buttermilk mixture, crème fraîche, salt and pepper to potatoes. Mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.
- Transfer the mashed potato mixture to a casserole serving dish, and top with crunchy scallions and crumbled bacon. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 41.4g
Saturated Fat: 12.3g
Total Carbohydrate: 29.6g
Dietary Fiber: 4.4g
Total Sugars: 3.3g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.