Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes With Crispy Bacon & Scallions Will Make Everyone Go Back for Seconds by Chef Gigi Gaggero
Looking for a new side dish for the holidays (or anytime)? Try this delicious buttermilk mashed potatoes recipe! So good.
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 8 ounces crème fraîche
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 pound bacon, cut into 1-inch slices, cooked and drained (reserve drippings)
- 1 cup scallions, cleaned and diagonally sliced
Here's how to make it:
- Place potatoes in a large heavy bottomed stock pot with cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Boil until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Heat the bacon drippings in a skillet and quickly add the scallions. Toss until lightly browned and crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer scallions to paper towels with a slotted spoon to drain. Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Over medium heat, continue to cook, stirring once, until potatoes dry from excess moisture, about 1 minute.
- While the potatoes are drying, place the buttermilk and butter in a microwavable glass bowl. Heat on high until warm, about 45-60 seconds.
- Add warm buttermilk mixture, crème fraîche, salt and pepper to potatoes. Mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.
- Transfer the mashed potato mixture to an beautiful casserole serving dish and top with crunchy scallions and crumbled bacon. Serve warm.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Potato Mashers $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.