Thanksgiving Side Dishes: How to Make Green Beans With Bacon & Caramelized Onions by Gwen Johnson
Green beans and bacon are a marriage made in heaven. When caramelized onions join the party, it gets even better. This easy green bean recipe is ready ready in about 20 minutes.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed off
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Here's how to make them:
- Put the green beans into a pot of boiling, salted water for abut 5 minutes. Drain and dunk into an ice bath to stop the cooking. Drain well.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Melt the butter in the same skillet (do not drain bacon grease). Add the onion and cook until caramelized, about 6-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add the green beans to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring, until they get a little color on them, about 5 minutes. Add bacon and serve.