Grandma's Boston Cream Pie Recipe: Cake, Pudding, Chocolate (That's All You Need to Know) by Donna John
Boston cream pie was a staple at my grandma and grandpa’s house. Why? Because my grandma could make this cake recipe fairly quickly to feed whoever came over on Sundays – and it tasted like she worked for hours on it.
Boston cream pie is one of my favorites because it brings back great childhood memories, and it is simplicity at its finest. Cake. Vanilla pudding. Chocolate. Done.
Fun fact: Boston cream pie is the official dessert of Massachusetts, and it was declared in December of 1996.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 cake
- 1 yellow cake mix, baked per packages directions for a round cake and cut in half
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups Cool Whip
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 square unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
Here’s how to make it:
- Whisk the pudding mix and milk together until thickened, about 2 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip and vanilla.
- Place one half of the cake on serving platter. Spread on the pudding filling. Top with the other half of the cake.
- Put the butter and chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 1 minute until melted. Add the sugar and milk. Stir to form a glaze. Spread over the cake. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Round Cake Pans $8 & Up
Yellow Cake Mix $1 & Up
Baker's Chocolate $4 & Up
Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix $2 & Up
Vanilla $5 & Up
Powdered Sugar $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.