Murgh Makhani: Serve This Indian Butter Chicken Recipe Family Style by Gigi Gaggero
Butter chicken, also called murgh makhani, is an Indian dish that's simply chicken in a seasoned tomato-based sauce. Serve it with cooked white rice or with fresh naan.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 jalapeños, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced organic tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
Here’s how to make it:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, lemon, turmeric, 1 teaspoon of the garam masala and cumin. Add chicken and toss until fully coated. Let marinate for about 20-30 minutes.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Working in batches, add chicken and cook until golden all over, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium low and melt 2 additional tablespoons of butter. Add the onions, jalapeños and the cinnamon stick. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 -8 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, remaining teaspoon garam masala and paprika. Cook an additional minute to release the essential oils of the spice.
- Add the tomatoes and bring mixture to a simmer. Return chicken to pot and toss well to coat. Allow the mixture to simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 -10 minutes.
- Finish by slowly stirring in the remaining butter and heavy cream. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Garam Masala $3 & Up
Cumin $2 & Up
Paprika $2 & Up
Cinnamon Sticks $5 & Up
Diced Tomatoes (28 ounces) $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.