Murgh Makhani Recipe: How to Make Savory Indian Butter Chicken Easily at Home by Chef Gigi
Butter chicken, also called murgh makhani, is a delicious Indian dish that's simply chicken in a seasoned tomato-based sauce. You will marvel at the complex, savory flavor, and it's easier than you may think. Serve it family style with cooked white rice or with fresh naan.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 jalapeños, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced organic tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
Here’s how to make it:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, lemon, turmeric, 1 teaspoon of the garam masala and cumin. Add chicken and toss until fully coated. Let marinate for about 20-30 minutes.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Working in batches, add chicken and cook until golden all over, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium low and melt 2 additional tablespoons of butter. Add the onions, jalapeños and the cinnamon stick. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, remaining teaspoon garam masala and paprika. Cook an additional minute to release the essential oils of the spice.
- Add the tomatoes and bring mixture to a simmer. Return chicken to pot and toss well to coat. Allow the mixture to simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Finish by slowly stirring in the remaining butter and heavy cream. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Garam Masala $3 & Up
Cumin $2 & Up
Paprika $2 & Up
Cinnamon Sticks $5 & Up
Diced Tomatoes (28 ounces) $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.