Best Chicken Recipe: One-Pan Roasted Chicken Recipe With Apples & Butternut Squash by Chef Gigi
Apples and butternut squash are what fall is made of. This easy roasted chicken recipe cooks in one pan, so cleanup is a breeze (a cool autumn breeze!). Serve with warm crusty bread.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 85 to 95 minutes
Total Time: 2 plus hours
- 6 chicken legs, with thighs intact
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into a 3/4-inch dice
- 2 acorn squash, cleaned and sliced into 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3 honeycrisp apples, peeled and cut into a large 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 4 - 5 springs fresh thyme
- 1 head garlic, cleaned
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into quarters, root ball intact
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, thinly sliced
Here's how to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a large roasting pan, toss the squash, apples, garlic, onion and sage with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Season the chicken legs generously with salt and pepper and lay them on top of the squash mixture. Dot with the butter. Roast for about 80 to 90 minutes or until the squash and apples are tender, and the chicken is browned and cooked through to 165 degrees F internal temperature.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and keep warm. Place the roasting pan over a burner and boil, stirring, until the pan juices are reduced, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan. Toss to coat and reseason with salt and pepper, if needed. Serve.
Photo: Kitchen Confident
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Roasting Pans $10 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.