Celebrate Apple Season With Hot Apple Pie Eggrolls With Caramel Dipping Sauce! by Chef Gigi Gaggero
4 months ago
Love apple pie? This recipe for apple pie eggrolls with a sweet caramel dipping sauce screams apple season. The dessert eggrolls would also be great served with vanilla ice cream. Oh, my!
- 4 apples, peeled and diced very small
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 12 -14 large eggroll wrappers
- good-quality frying oil
- 1 recipe caramel sauce, for dunking (here's my recipe for salted maple caramel sauce)
Here’s how to make them:
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the eggroll wrappers and the frying oil. Toss to combine.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the apple mixture and cook for 3-5 minutes until the apples are slightly cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Lay the eggroll wrappers flat on a clean dry work surface. With a corner point of the wrapper facing you, place a heaping tablespoon of the apple mixture in the center of each wrapper.
- Wet the edges with a little water from your finger and roll your wrapper like you are rolling up a burrito. Seal tight. Place seam side down on a baking tray lined with paper towels.
- Wash and dry the skillet used to sauté the apple mixture. Add enough oil to submerge the eggrolls at least halfway. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F.
- Gently fry each eggroll, turning once, until eggroll is completely browned on all sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve with warmed caramel dipping sauce.