Meaty Cabbage Rolls Casserole Recipe Makes It Easy to Enjoy Cabbage Rolls Anytime by Tanya Kuzmanovic
Being a huge fan of cabbage rolls, I was a bit leery when faced with this recipe for "lazy day cabbage rolls." But I'm happy to say this shortcut cabbage roll casserole recipe is worth its weight in gold! I may never make actual cabbage rolls again. Why would you, when this meaty casserole recipe is so easy and delicious?
This hearty dinner casserole recipe calls for one pound of ground pork, two pounds of ground beef and a head of sour cabbage, among other delicious ingredients. Sour cabbage is actually fermented cabbage that’s soaked in a brine for a few months (my parents make a vat of it every year). Sometimes you can find it for sale, but in a pinch you can buy a regular head of cabbage, freeze it, thaw it – the leaves will be very soft and pliable, similar to the leaves of sour cabbage. Then mix in some jarred sauerkraut to give it a bit of a sour flavor.
Serve this delicious cabbage roll casserole recipe for dinner with sour cream or yogurt on the side (and pray for some leftovers)!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours and 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 25 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 5 - 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 - 4 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 head sour cabbage, cut into bite-sized chunks (see note)
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 6 servings cooked rice
- 2 smoked sausages, sliced into rounds
Here’s how to make it:
- In a large skillet, saucepan or wok, brown the onion in oil before adding the meat, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices and continue cooking until meat is done, about 10 minutes.
- In large greased casserole dish, layer half the rice, topped with half the meat and top with half the cabbage. Repeat.
- Mix tomato soup with tomatoes and pour over the top.
- Arrange sausage rounds on top. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for approximately 1 hour more until hot and bubbly.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.