Crazy Good Cabbage Roll Casserole: Put This Meaty Cabbage Casserole Recipe on the Menu ASAP by Tanya Kuzmanovic
Being a huge fan of cabbage rolls, I was a bit leery when faced with this recipe for lazy cabbage rolls. But I'm happy to say this shortcut was worth its weight in gold! I may never make actual cabbage rolls again. Serve with sour cream or yogurt on the side.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 10 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 5 - 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 - 4 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 head sour cabbage, cut into bite-sized chunks (see note)
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 6 servings cooked rice
- 2 smoked sausages, sliced into rounds
Here’s how to make it:
- Brown the onion in oil before adding the meat.
- Add garlic and spices and continue cooking until meat is done.
- In large greased casserole, layer half the rice, topped with half the meat and top with half the cabbage. Repeat.
- Mix tomato soup with tomatoes and pour over the top.
- Arrange sausage rounds on top. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for approximately 1 hour more until hot and bubbly.
Note: Sour cabbage is actually fermented cabbage that’s soaked in a brine for a few months (my parents make a vat of it every year). Sometimes you can find it for sale, but in a pinch you can buy a regular head of cabbage, freeze it, thaw it – the leaves will be very soft and pliable, similar to the leaves of sour cabbage. Then mix in some jarred sauerkraut to give it a bit of a sour flavor.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Sauerkraut $4 & Up
Paprika $2 & Up
Crushed Tomatoes $2 & Up
Cayenne Pepper $3 & Up
Tomato Soup $1 & Up
Rice $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.