Get Your Kitchen Mojo Back With This Cilantro Stem Sauce Recipe! by Alison Mountford
Cilantro stems are perfectly edible and have tons of flavor, so there’s no need to toss them out (ahem, #nofoodwaste). Pluck off the leaves for use in your pretty grain salads and garnish, but use the stems in this great summer sauce. Mojo is a Cuban sauce that's classically made from citrus and oregano, but this cilantro riff is great on anything grilled from asparagus and salmon to pork and chicken.
- 1 bunch cilantro stems (and maybe a few leaves)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1-inch piece tender ginger, smashed (skin and all, but if it's older go ahead and peel first)
- 1/2 shallot
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch red chili flakes (optional)
Here’s how to make it:
- Combine everything in a food processor or blender.
- Pulse until everything is finely chopped and sauce comes together, about 1 minute. Keep refrigerated and serve over everything!