Swedish Meatballs Recipe: Here's a Chef's Take on the Famous IKEA Meatballs by Gigi Gaggero
An astounding two million meatballs are eaten in IKEA's 340 stores worldwide every day. Now that's a lot of köttbullar! Here’s my take on the Swedish meatball. Serve with a side of lingonberry jam for a traditional Swedish meal.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 medium onion, diced very small
- 1/4 cup panko, mixed with 3 ounces of water
- 1 medium boiled potato, cooled and mashed
- 4 ounces butter, divided and at room temp
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 1/8 cups beef stock, divided
- soy sauce, to taste
- 2 - 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Here’s how to make them:
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the onions and half the butter. Occasionally stir the onions until they are nicely brown and caramelized, about 5-8 minutes.
- While the onions are browning combine the meat, cooled potato and panko in a bowl. Mix well. Add allspice and white pepper. Add the caramelized onions and combine well. Season with salt, to taste.
- Using two spoons, shape the meat into approximately 1-ounce balls or roll with clean hands. Place balls on a floured surface and roll gently to coat them evenly.
- Place the floured meatballs into a well-buttered pan over medium-low heat and cook for approximately 20 minutes, turning the meatballs so they don't stick. Remove the meatballs to a plate.
- In the same pan, add half the beef stock and deglaze the pan to get all the brown bits up off the pan. Remove from the heat.
- Add the flour, and with a whisk, begin to create a thickened paste. Once it comes together, slowly add the additional stock quickly, stirring continuously. Return to the heat and bring to a quick boil over medium heat, and just before it begins to bubble reduce to simmer.
- Add a couple good grinds of white pepper. Add the cream. Stir to combine. Adjust seasoning with soy sauce.
- Put the meatballs back into the sauce and heat through.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Lingonberry Jam $6 & Up
IKEA Meatball Cream Sauce $6 & Up
Panko $3 & Up
Allspice $4 & Up
Beef Stock $2 & Up
All Purpose Flour $2 & Up
Soy Sauce $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.