Rum Toasted Coconut Custard Tart: Close Your Eyes & You're in the Tropics by Chef Gigi
3 years ago
Add to collection
OK, this Malibu Rum toasted coconut custard tart might not be the exact same as vacationing to a far-away exotic island, but one bite of it and you can bet it will taste like the tropics. Smile, you just saved thousands!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- pinch salt
- pinch ground ginger
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Malibu rum
- 1 whole vanilla bean, sliced and scraped
- 4 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into teaspoon-sized chunks
- 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut, toasted (divided)
- 1 9-inch homemade sweet tart shell, baked and cooled
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon Malibu rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Here’s how to make it:
- In a small saucepan bring the milk and the vanilla bean to a boil. Immediately remove from the heat. In a large saucepan whisk together sugar, yolks, cornstarch, salt and ground spices until well blended. Remove the vanilla bean pod and set aside.
- Whisk in 1/4 cup of hot milk to bring the yolks up to the hot milk’s temperature. This will help prevent them from scrambling. Once the yolks are tempered, make the addition of the remaining milk, whisking thoroughly. Return to the heat and continue whisking the mixture over medium heat back to a slow boil. Whisk an additional 1 or 2 minutes to activate the yolks to thicken, then remove from heat. Cool slightly and whisk in the rum.
- Gently make the addition of the butter by whisking in a few pieces at a time until the butter is melted and the custard is shiny and smooth. Once all the butter is incorporated, gently fold in half of the toasted coconut.
- Transfer the custard mixture to a clean container and cover the surface of the custard with direct contact using plastic wrap or a buttered piece of parchment or wax paper. This will prevent the custard from forming a skin. Seal the custard airtight and refrigerate until chilled and firm.
- While custard is chilling prepare the topping by using the whisk attachment of your stand or handheld mixer to whip the cream to medium peaks. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time and beat to firm peaks. Whip in rum, to taste.
- To assemble the tart, whisk the chilled custard vigorously to loosen. Place the custard into the tart crust using a spoon or pipe in with a pastry bag. Make the custard level. Spoon the rum-flavored whipped cream over the custard and evenly to the edge – use the back of a spoon to draw a dramatic affect. Sprinkle with toasted coconut for garnish and serve.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Tart Pans $10 & Up
Sweetened Coconut $2 & Up
Vanilla Beans $14 & Up
Sugar $3 & Up
Ground Ginger $3 & Up
Ground Nutmeg $3 & Up
Powdered Sugar $3 & Up
Vanilla $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.