Creamy Hawaiian Macaroni Salad Recipe: A Sweet Pasta Salad Recipe From the Islands by Shauna Flury
Don't expect leftovers if you take this creamy Hawaiian macaroni salad recipe to your next get-together. This flavorful salad recipe will give you that tropical island taste as a side dish for dinner, or even as a light lunch.
Be sure to only use mayonnaise, and I prefer Best Foods mayonnaise. I recommend not using Kraft mayonnaise or Miracle Whip. In some areas, Hellman's mayonnaise is the same as Best Foods. It makes all the difference!
To make this macaroni salad recipe you will need elbow macaroni, apple cider vinegar, mayonnaise (Best Foods or Hellman's), whole milk, brown sugar, green onions and a carrot. This tasty pasta salad recipe is best if chilled for at least two to four hours before serving, but 24 hours is ideal. Enjoy a creamy rich taste of the islands anytime!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes plus 2 hours to chill
Total Time: 2 hours and 25 minutes
- 1 pound elbow macaroni (I used large elbow mac but only half the package)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups Best Foods mayonnaise (aka Hellman's Real Mayonnaise)
- 1 cup whole milk (you can also use 2% but not 1%)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (small ones and reserve 2/3 of the tops for garnish)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, grated and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- Hellman's Real Mayonnaise and Best Foods Mayonnaise are the same. Since 1932, the same company has owned Best Foods and Hellman's. Because of brand-name loyalty, the company decided to keep both brand names.
Here's how to make it:
- Bring approximately 4 quarts of water to a boil and add the macaroni. Cook until VERY soft, about 15 minutes. Drain the macaroni and return to the pot.
- Add the vinegar and stir until the macaroni is well coated while slightly warm and the vinegar adheres. Let cool.
- While the macaroni is cooling, combine the mayonnaise, milk and brown sugar. Mix well. Add any desired salt and pepper. Pour over the cooled macaroni and stir well. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.