Skinny Baked Chimichanga Recipe: A Healthier Way to Eat Mexican Food by Donna John
The weight lost a couple years ago has sneaked back up on me. Here's an easy Mexican recipe for skinny baked chimichangas made often at my house when the pounds were falling off.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small poblano pepper, chopped (use jalapenos for more spice)
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2/3 – 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese (cheddar, Mexican white, Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, etc.)
- 8-inch flour tortillas
- optional toppings: guacamole, sliced avocado, chopped red onion, cilantro, tomato, salsa, sour cream
Here’s how to make it:
- Cook the turkey, onion, poblano, garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin in a skillet until browned.
- Add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and add the cheese. Stir until melted. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Spoon about a 1/2 cup of the filling into the center of each tortilla.
- Fold up burrito style. Spray the tops with cooking spray.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven until lightly browned and crisp, about 20 minutes. Top with desired toppings and serve.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Baking Sheets $9 & Up
Skillets $10 & Up
Chili Powder $3 & Up
Ground Cumin $2 & Up
Dried Oregano $2 & Up
Tomato Sauce $1 & Up
Flour Tortillas $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.