Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe With Grilled Cheese Croutons Is Ready in 30 Minutes by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Host of KSCU 103.3 FM LIVE Food Talk Radio S.F. Bay Area
Creamy tomato soup and grilled cheese is a classic combination. But turn that grilled cheese into "croutons," and you've made tomato soup magic. Serve this easy tomato soup recipe with a salad for a complete meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped in 1/2- inch pieces
- 1 - 2 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh flat leaf Italian parsley leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) peeled and chopped organic tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plain Greek yogurt or your favorite nut milk
- 10 - 12 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 8 slices of your favorite bread, crusts removed
- 8 - 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
Here’s how to make it:
- In a heavy stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrots. Sauté for 3 - 5 minutes until onions are beginning to turn golden brown and caramelized.
- Add the garlic, oregano and parsley. Cook an additional 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice and the chicken stock. Bring to a low simmer. Cook uncovered, for 12 -15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add fresh basil.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or carefully in a regular blender. Return to pot. Add cream and more salt and pepper, if needed. Heat through (do not boil).
- While soup is cooking, make grilled cheese with bread, butter and cheese. Cut into "croutons."
- Serve soup piping hot garnished with grilled cheese croutons.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.