This Creamy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe With Beef & Cheese Is an Easy Minnesota "Hotdish" by Heather Holter
Everyone else calls it casserole – in Minnesota, we call it hotdish! I never liked tater tot hotdish and wondered why others did. What was so great about it?
When I started cooking around age 15, my stepdad asked for tater tot hotdish, so my sister and I made up our own version. It doesn't use canned soup, and instead has sour cream and cheese. It improves this dinner recipe like magic.
I hope you like this potato casserole as much as my family does. The recipe makes 12 servings. You know what that means? Leftovers!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1 bag (2 pounds) tater tots
- 1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) cans French-cut green beans, drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushrooms (optional)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar or Mozzarella cheese
Here’s how to make it:
- Brown the ground beef and onion. Do not drain.
- Stir in flour. Slowly stir in milk. Add green beans (any vegetable can be substituted) and mushrooms, if using. Add sour cream and simmer mixture until slightly thickened.
- Place half the bag of tater tots on the bottom of a greased 9x13-inch pan. Pour meat mixture over tater tots. Put remaining tater tots on top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees F for 1 hour. Remove foil and cover hotdish with the cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
French Cut Green Beans $3 & Up
Canned Mushrooms $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.