Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe: This Beef & Tater Tot Hotdish Recipe Is a Minnesota Classic Remade by Heather Holter
Everyone else calls it casserole – we call it hotdish! I never liked tater tot hotdish and wondered why others did. What was so great about it? When I started cooking around age 15, my stepdad asked for tater tot hotdish, so my sister and I made up our own version. It doesn't use canned soup, and instead has sour cream and cheese. It changes and improves this dish like magic. I hope you like this as much as my family does. The recipe makes 12 servings. You know what that means? Leftovers!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1 bag (2 pounds) tater tots
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) cans French-cut green beans, drained
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushrooms (optional)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar or Mozzarella cheese
Here’s how to make it:
- Brown the ground beef and onion. Do not drain.
- Stir in flour. Slowly stir in milk. Add green beans (any vegetable can be substituted) and mushrooms, if using. Add sour cream and simmer mixture until slightly thickened.
- Place half the bag of tater tots on the bottom of a greased 9x13-inch pan. Pour meat mixture over tater tots. Put remaining tater tots on top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees F for 1 hour. Remove foil and cover hotdish with the cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.