Baked Creamed Spinach Is a Cheat-Night Indulgence Worth the Calories by Gwen Johnson
Don't wait until a holiday dinner to make this cheesy, creamy spinach casserole recipe. For me, Wednesday works, or Monday or Tuesday or...
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 5 boxes (10 ounces each) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup grated white Cheddar, yellow Cheddar or Gruyere cheese
Here’s how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the onions and cook until soft and beginning to lightly brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Pour in the cream and milk. Cook until thickened.
- Add the spinach and half of the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour mixture into a casserole dish or into individual ramekins. Top with the remaining Parmesan and Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until bubbly and beginning to brown on top.
Note: Not cooking for a crowd? Cut the recipe in half!