Creamy Poblano Rice Casserole Recipe: This Side Dish Will Leave You Speechless by Donna John
No words. That's an overused statement, for sure, but it works for this creamy Mexican poblano rice recipe. What's creamier than creamy? That word might describe this recipe. Might. This creamy poblano rice casserole is one of my all-time favorite rice casserole side dishes. This easy poblano rice is a delicious way to add a bit of spice to dinner. It'll be a family favorite for sure.
The first thing to do is cook the rice and set it aside. Next, char the corn in a skillet and slice it off the cob. (You could use frozen corn if you're in a rush.) Roast the poblano peppers on a gas burner or in the oven under the broiler. It is so easy to do. Once they're black all over, remove the skin, ribs, seeds and chop.
The onion is cooked until soft, then the poblano and corn are stirred in along with the garlic. Add fresh cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese and heavy whipping cream. (Don't forget to put the rice in, too!). Stir it all up and bake until hot and bubbly. Amazing!
The flavors in this rice side dish are incredible. Serve this cheesy Mexican rice casserole as a side dish with chicken, pork, beef, seafood or whatever you enjoy for dinner!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup converted rice (I used Uncle Ben's)
- 3 ears corn on the cob
- 1 large poblano pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped (or to taste)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package (8 ounces) white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Set aside. Char the corn on a grill or in a cast iron skillet. Slice off the kernels. Set aside.
- Roast the poblanos, then peel, seed and chop.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the half the onion, chopped poblano and corn. Cook about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook about 2 minutes more.
- Combine the cooked vegetables, sour cream, cilantro, remaining onion, rice, cheese and whipping cream. Season with black pepper, to taste. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.