20-Minute Umami Fried Rice Recipe Is a Tasty Dinner or Side Dish by Chef Gigi
During the week families need meals that are fast, cheap and easy. If I make rice I always make additional and set some aside just for this fried rice recipe. This flavorful fried rice is the perfect family pleasing recipe!
The rice has just a few simple ingredients: butter, onion, garlic, carrots, rice, eggs, garlic salt, soy sauce, green peas and green onions. Be sure to use day-old rice for this 20-minute umami fried rice. Make it the night before and pop it into the refrigerator. To reduce the sodium in the recipe, use low-sodium soy sauce.
Add sautéed shrimp or grilled chicken, and there you have it – dinner. To enhance the umami flavors (our fifth taste sensation) use Dashi broth instead of water when making rice. This is one Asian fried rice recipe you do not want to lose.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, very finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrots, peeled and diced very small
- 6 cups day-old short-grain Japanese rice, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup frozen green peas, cooked (optional)
- 3 - 4 green onions, sliced in 1/4-inch diagonal slices
Here's how to make it:
- In a large wok or sauté pan, heat the butter. Add the onions and carrots. Cook until the carrots and onions begin to brown and the natural sugars start to caramelize, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Add the rice and stir until the carrot, onion and garlic are incorporated well.
- Add the beaten eggs and toss the rice quickly to cook through. Stir well. After everything is incorporated turn up the heat to high and allow the rice to begin browning string constantly, about an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Season to taste with the soy sauce and add fresh cracked black pepper, if desired. Remove from the heat, add the cooked peas, and scallions and toss to fluff the rice up.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.