This Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe Is What to Make When Life Gives You Lemons by Erica Kane
This classic Greek lemon soup recipe is the perfect way to use up leftover chicken or turkey. This refreshing soup is welcome anytime of the year.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 white onion, chopped small
- 2 carrots, peeled, sliced thin
- olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 3 lemons
- 2 quarts turkey stock, chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 4 eggs
- parsley, for garnish
Here’s how to make it:
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté carrots, onion and lemon zest in olive oil. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Cook about 7-10 minutes.
- Add stock and 1 bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add rice, reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes until rice is cooked through.
- When rice is cooking, whisk 4 eggs and the juice of 2 lemons in a large mixing bowl. Once rice is done cooking, we need to temper the eggs. This is a technique where you slowly heat the eggs so they don’t cook (as they would if you threw them directly into the soup). Add one ladle of soup to the egg and lemon mixture and whisk rapidly. Add another ladle and do the same, whisking continuously. Do this with five ladles, then pour the mixture back into the pot.
- Add the juice of 1 more lemon. Stir.
- Add the chicken or turkey and simmer for a few minutes until heated through and thickened.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Dutch Ovens $10 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Chicken Stock $1 & Up
Turkey Stock $2 & Up
Vegetable Stock $2 & Up
Bay Leaves $3 & Up
White Rice $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.