Refreshing Greek Lemon Soup Recipe Is the Perfect Way to Use Leftover Turkey or Chicken by Erica Kane
This classic Greek lemon soup recipe is the perfect way to use up leftover turkey or chicken. This refreshing soup is welcome for lunch or dinner anytime of the year.
It's important to temper the eggs in this chicken soup recipe so they don't "cook" in the soup. Tempering is an easy process and explained below.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 white onion, chopped small
- 2 carrots, peeled, sliced thin
- olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 3 lemons
- 2 quarts turkey stock, chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 4 eggs
- parsley, for garnish
Here’s how to make it:
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté carrots, onion and lemon zest in olive oil. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Cook about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add stock and 1 bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add rice, reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes until rice is cooked through.
- When rice is cooking, whisk 4 eggs and the juice of 2 lemons in a large mixing bowl. Once rice is done cooking, we need to temper the eggs. This is a technique where you slowly heat the eggs so they don’t cook (as they would if you threw them directly into the soup). Add one ladle of soup to the egg and lemon mixture and whisk rapidly. Add another ladle and do the same, whisking continuously. Do this with five ladles, then pour the mixture back into the pot.
- Add the juice of 1 more lemon. Stir.
- Add the chicken or turkey and simmer for a few minutes until heated through and thickened.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Dutch Ovens $10 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Chicken Stock $1 & Up
Turkey Stock $2 & Up
Vegetable Stock $2 & Up
Bay Leaves $3 & Up
White Rice $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.