Dairy-free Desserts: Ditch the Dairy This Thanksgiving With This Dairy-free Pumpkin Pie! by 30Seconds Food
It started with latte. Soon it took over the world, from the cereal aisle to the cookie jar to the corner donut place. We’re talking, of course, about pumpkin spice. Now, all things pumpkin spice just got even better: Pereg Natural Foods is rolling out its new, all-natural Pumpkin Pie Spice blend just in time for the fall season and the cooler months ahead. Here, Pereg shares a recipe for an easy, dairy-free pumpkin pie!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree (or 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon PEREG ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons PEREG pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine sticks, chilled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
Here’s how to make it:
- To make the pie crust, place the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor fitted with an “S” blade and pulse to combine. Add the margarine and cold water and process until the mixture resembles a coarse meal, begins to stick together, and holds together when pinched. Remove dough from processor (will be crumbly) and form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or overnight for best outcome
- To make the filling in a large bowl, beat the eggs. Whisk in the pumpkin, coconut milk and vanilla extract until combined. Add sugar, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice and mix until completely combined.
- To make the pie, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a pie plate and set aside. Roll out your pie dough on a well-floured surface (pastry cloth) to fit the size of your pie plate. Carefully transfer the dough to the pie plate and shape the crust how you want it to look. Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust and cover the crust with a pastry shield. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean. It may be a bit wobbly still, but it will firm up as it cools. Allow the pie to cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. (Be patient! This is important). Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.