Homemade Falafel Recipes: This Authentic Fried Israeli Falafel Recipe Is Crazy Good by Gigi Gaggero
Here I am, an Italian-American, trying to grasp the depths of an authentic Israeli falafel recipe. How did I do it? I turned to my favorite falafel expert and adapted from Joan Nathan’s book, The Foods of Israel Today. Amazing book and amazing falafel recipe!
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1/2 large onion, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 - 6 tablespoons flour
- vegetable oil, for frying
- chopped tomato, for garnish
- diced onion, for garnish
- diced green bell pepper, for garnish
- tahini sauce
- pita bread
Here’s how to make it:
- Put the chickpeas in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover them by at least 2 inches. Let soak overnight, then drain. Or use canned chickpeas, drained.
- Place the drained, uncooked chickpeas and the onions in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the parsley, cilantro, salt, hot pepper, garlic and cumin. Process until blended but not pureed.
- Sprinkle in the baking powder and 4 tablespoons of the flour and pulse. You want to add enough bulgur or flour so that the dough forms a small ball and no longer sticks to your hands. Turn into a bowl and refrigerate, covered, for several hours.
- Form the chickpea mixture into balls about the size of walnuts.
- Heat 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees F in a deep pot or wok and fry one ball to test. If it falls apart, add a little flour. Then fry about six balls at once for a few minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Stuff half a pita with falafel balls, chopped tomatoes, onion and green pepper. Drizzle with tahini thinned with water.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Falafel Scoop $8 & Up
Dried Chickpeas $4 & Up
Tahini $6 & Up
Pita Bread $8 & Up
Red Pepper Flakes $3 & Up
Ground Cumin $2 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Vegetable Oil $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.