Authentic Homemade Falafel Recipe: This Delicious Fried Falafel Recipe Is Simply Amazing by Gigi Gaggero
Here I am, an Italian-American, trying to grasp the depths of an authentic falafel recipe. How did I do it? I turned to my favorite falafel expert and adapted it from Joan Nathan’s book, The Foods of Israel Today. Amazing book and amazing falafel recipe!
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 3 hours to refrigerate dough, plus overnight if soaking chickpeas
Cook Time: 20 to 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 to 50 minutes plus refrigeration and soaking time
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1/2 large onion, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 - 6 tablespoons flour
- vegetable oil, for frying
- chopped tomato, for garnish
- diced onion, for garnish
- diced green bell pepper, for garnish
- tahini sauce
- pita bread
Here’s how to make it:
- Put the chickpeas in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover them by at least 2 inches. Let soak overnight, then drain. Or use canned chickpeas, drained.
- Place the drained, uncooked chickpeas and the onions in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the parsley, cilantro, salt, hot pepper, garlic and cumin. Process until blended but not pureed.
- Sprinkle in the baking powder and 4 tablespoons of the flour and pulse. You want to add enough bulgur or flour so that the dough forms a small ball and no longer sticks to your hands. Turn into a bowl and refrigerate, covered, for about 3 hours or until firm.
- Form the chickpea mixture into balls about the size of walnuts.
- Heat 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees F in a deep pot or wok and fry one ball to test. If it falls apart, add a little flour. Then fry about six balls at once for a few minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Stuff half a pita with falafel balls, chopped tomatoes, onion and green pepper. Drizzle with tahini thinned with water.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Falafel Scoop $8 & Up
Dried Chickpeas $4 & Up
Tahini $6 & Up
Pita Bread $8 & Up
Red Pepper Flakes $3 & Up
Ground Cumin $2 & Up
Baking Powder $2 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Vegetable Oil $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.