Homemade Spaetzle: How to Make Cheesy Spaetzle in Under 40 Minutes! by 30Seconds Food
Italians love their pasta – and Germans love their spaetzle. Spaetzle is the perfect resting place for roasted meats or as a side dish, like this easy recipe.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup of your favorite cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- flat-leaf parsley or sage leaves
Here’s how to make it:
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper and half of the cheese. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk and eggs. Gradually combine until a dough forms. Let it rest 15 minutes.
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Place a colander with large holes over the pot of water. Put the dough in the colander and push it through the holes using a spatula or spoon into the water. Do this in batches.
- Cook each batch of spaetzle for about 3-4 minutes, or until they float. Remove each batch to a large bowl of cold water.
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the drained spaetzle and cook, stirring, until they begin to lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining cheese and sprinkle with parsley or sage.