Biscuits & Gravy: How to Make Southern Sausage Gravy for Those Biscuits! by Donna John
Down south, if someone says they want a “big breakfast,” it will most likely include biscuits and gravy. It’s definitely not the healthiest breakfast choice, but occasionally everyone needs a little biscuits and gravy.
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sauce (I use Jimmy Dean)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups mik
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet until brown (break it up as it cooks). Remove sausage to a bowl and leave the grease in the skillet (you knew that was coming!).
- Add the flour to the grease and whisk to make a roux. Cook about 1-2 minutes. (If your sausage didn't have much grease, add a little oil to the pan to make 2 tablespoons.)
- Whisk in milk and cream. Cook until bubbly and thick. Season with lots of black pepper and some salt.
- Add sausage back to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Serve over fresh-baked biscuits. (You can used frozen, canned or try my homemade biscuit recipe!)