Egg Clouds Are Incredible, Edible & Delicious (Not to Mention Easy)! by Chef Gigi Gaggero
Cloud eggs are a culinary staple in egg cookery. They are perfect for a surprise breakfast treat!
- 4 large eggs
- pink Himalayan or kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (fine grate)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives, for garnish
Here’s how to make them:
- Separate egg whites and egg yolks, placing the egg whites in a large bowl and the yolks in a small bowl. Set yolks aside. Season the egg whites with salt and pepper.
- Using a whisk or a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in Parmesan and chives.
- Create four mounds of egg whites on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Indent the centers of each to look like nests.
- Bake in a preheated 450-degree F oven until slightly golden, about 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes and whites are sturdy, carefully add an egg yolk to the center of each egg white cloud.
- Season yolk with salt and pepper. Bake until the yolks are just set, about 3 additional minutes.
Variations: Add chopped cooked pancetta, crumbled bacon, diced ham, small chipped red bell peppers, scallions or any of your favorite breakfast foods to the egg whites after they have stiff peaks. Be extra careful not to deflate the whites when folding in.