Mashed Cauliflower: Take a Break From Taters With This Creamy Side Dish! by Donna John
Mashed cauliflower is a satisfying and welcome change from classic mashed potatoes. If you're not sure if your family will like the switch, use half a head of cauliflower and a couple russet potatoes.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- cream, milk or yogurt
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- butter (optional)
- salt and pepper
Here's how to make it:
- Cook the cauliflower in boiling, salted water until really tender. Drain well and return to pot.
- Put the burner on low heat and continue to cook and mash the cauliflower. This helps more water evaporate from the cauliflower.
- Add the desired amount of cream, milk or yogurt until you reach desired creaminess.
- If using, add a little butter and some grated Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve.