Flavored Butter: How to Make Bacon-Maple Butter (Oh, My!) by Chef Gigi Gaggero
Bacon-maple butter is delicious on just about anything, including a good grilled steak. (Insert big, happy sigh.)
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces and frozen
- 4 strips bacon, cooked crispy
- 1 tablespoon reserved bacon fat (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Here’s how to make it:
- Add the maple syrup and cook without stirring on medium heat until syrup reaches 235 degrees F, about 8-10 minutes. (When the syrup begins to boil gently, tilt the pan so the syrup covers the thermometer bulb to get an accurate reading.)
- Remove the syrup from heat and add the frozen butter one to two pieces at a time. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until all butter is incorporated.
- Add the salt and bacon fat, if using.
- Pour the syrup into the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until light in color, about 10-15 minutes.
- Gently crumble the cooked bacon and fold in. Pour the maple butter into clean mason jars. Allow to cool.
The bacon-maple butter can be stored up to two weeks in the fridge or 6 months in the freezer.
Variation: Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and for a spicy finish, add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Or both! You decide.