Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Casserole: A Classic Recipe Kids Will Love! by Donna John
Want kids to eat their broccoli? Blanket it under melted cheese and a creamy white sauce and they're sure to gobble it up! This recipe is similar to Chicken Divan, minus the almonds.
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cooked until almost tender
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 - 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
Here's how to make it:
- Arrange the broccoli in the bottom of a rectangular casserole dish.
- For the sauce, melt the butter in a pan. Add the flour and cook 1 minute. Add the milk and lemon. Cook, stirring, until bubbly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour half of the sauce over the broccoli. Sprinkle with half of the Cheddar and Parmesan.
- Spread the chicken over the cheese. Top with the Swiss cheese slices.
- Pour remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with the remaining Cheddar and Parmesan.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.