Southern Side Dishes: How to Make Easy Lima Bean Succotash! by Donna John
Lima beans just don't get much respect. Let’s show this bean a little love by making this easy succotash recipe. You’ll be glad you did!
- 2 cups lima beans
- 2 onions, chopped (divided)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 -3 slices bacon
- 3 cups corn
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or green part of a green onion
Here’s how to make it:
- Put the lima beans, 1 of the chopped onions and the garlic into a pot, cover with water and simmer about 20 minutes or until lima beans are tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel.
- To the bacon fat, add the remaining chopped onion and cook about 3-5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add in the corn and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, cooked lima beans and reserved cooking liquid. Cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Add the butter, red wine vinegar, herbs and crumbled bacon. Season with salt and pepper.