Taco Tuesday: 7 Food Hacks That Only Taco Lovers Will Appreciate! by Donna John
2 years ago
Don’t let anything mess with taco night. Here are some easy ways to get out of any taco disaster!
- Out of Taco Seasoning – Thought you had a package of Old El Paso in the pantry? No worries! Add 2 cloves of garlic to the meat as your brown it (you could add chopped onion, too). When brown, stir in 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon oregano and 1/2 teaspoon salt per pound of beef. If you like it spicier, add 1-2 teaspoons of chili powder as well.
- Feeding More Taco Lovers Than You Thought – Did your brother or needy neighbor show up at dinnertime ... again? Stretch your ground beef mixture by adding potato to it. Cut russet potatoes into small cubes, boil until just tender and add to your browned taco meat. Stir gently so you don’t break them up.
- Tired of the Cleanup – Instead of using lots of bowls for your toppings, pull out your vegetable dip server and fill each compartment with an ingredient. Just one thing to wash!
- Sour Cream Gone Sour – Don’t have sour cream or find out if expired weeks ago? Grab a container of plain greek or regular yogurt and stir in a little taco seasoning. It makes a flavorful – and healthier – taco topping.
- Broken Taco Shells – Don’t you hate it when you open the box and some are broken … or you break them yourself trying to open the package? No worries! Instead of taco night, turn it into taco salad night by breaking the whole package into “chips” after they come out of the oven.
- Forgot to Buy Taco Shells – Don't be shell shocked! Always keep flour and corn tortillas in the fridge so you’ll have a backup. Serve soft tacos or lay the tortillas over your oven rack tines so they’re literally hanging like a taco shell and bake until they hold their shape.
- No Meat – Forget to take out a package of frozen meat or just forgot to buy one? Grab your can opener and a can of black beans (or white, why not?) and use them instead. Sprinkle with the taco seasoning or just throw in whatever you have on hand for a healthy, protein-packed taco filling. Chickpeas work well, too.
Got a taco night hack? Share it below!