Make This Southern "Fried" Cabbage Recipe for New Year's Day (Show Me the Money) by Donna John
Think cabbage is boring and bland? Well, then you haven’t tried southern “fried” cabbage loaded with bacon and onions. This easy fried cabbage recipe will make a cabbage lover out of you.
Fun Fact: It's said that if you eat cabbage for the new year it'll bring you money. Couldn't hurt to try, right?
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 head cabbage, core removed and cut in strips or chopped
- 3 - 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- butter (optional)
Here’s how you make it:
- Cook the bacon in a large pot until crispy. Add the onion and cook a few minutes to soften.
- Add the cabbage and about 1 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat until cabbage is very soft, about 30 minutes, stirring often. Add a little more water if it all cooks out before the cabbage is done.
- When cabbage soft, uncover and cook until all the water has cooked out.
- Throw in a couple tablespoons or so of butter and Tabasco sauce right at the end, if using. (I put lots of Tabasco in mine, especially if I leave out the bacon.) Re-season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.