How to Make Southern "Fried" Cabbage With Bacon & Onions! by Donna John
Think cabbage is boring and bland? Well, then you haven’t tried “fried” cabbage loaded with bacon and onions! This easy recipe will make a cabbage lover out of you. Want to make it vegetarian? Simply leave out the bacon and saute the onions in a little butter.
- 1 head cabbage, core removed and cut in strips or chopped
- 3 - 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- butter (optional)
Here’s how you make it:
- Cook the bacon in a large pot until crispy.
- Add the onion and cook a few minutes to soften.
- Add the cabbage and about 1 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until cabbage is very soft, about 30 minutes, stirring often. Add a little more water if it all cooks out before the cabbage is done.
- When cabbage soft, uncover and cook until all the water has cooked out.
- Throw in a couple tablespoons or so of butter and Tabasco sauce right at the end, if using. (I put lots of Tabasco in mine, especially if I leave out the bacon.) Re-season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Tabasco Sauce $7 - $43
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.