Not Irish? Who Cares? You Can Still Make This Easy Irish Soda Bread! by Donna John
9 months ago
What's more Irish than Irish soda bread? Try this easy recipe for your St. Patrick's Day dinner!
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
Here's how you make it:
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flour until it looks like cornmeal.
- Stir in raisins.
- Add the buttermilk and egg. Mix well until you have a stiff dough.
- Dust your hands and your work surface with some flour. Knead the dough to form a ball.
- Shape the dough into a round loaf. Do not over-knead the dough.
- With a sharp knife, cut an X into the top of the loaf.
- Put the loaf onto a greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven until the loaf sounds hollow, about 30-40 minutes.