Easy Irish Soda Bread Recipe for St. Patrick's Day: Not Irish? Who Cares! by Donna John
What's more festive on St. Patrick's Day than Irish soda bread? This is an easy Irish soda bread recipe that even first-time bakers can make. Promise! It has just a few ingredients, easy prep and bakes up in no time.
All you will need to make this Irish soda bread recipe is all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, salt, baking soda, butter, raisins and buttermilk. The ingredients are mixed together to form a dough, then you knead it very briefly for form a smooth ball of dough. The dough is baked on a baking sheet in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes or until it sounds hollow when thumped.
Make this bread part of your St. Patrick's day menu along with colcannon, corned beef and cabbage and Irish apple cake. And don't forget the green beer or cucumber gimlet. But don't wait until St. Patrick's Day to make this easy homemade bread recipe!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: Makes 1 loaf
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
Here's how you make it:
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda in a bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flour until it looks like cornmeal.
- Stir in raisins.
- Add the buttermilk and egg. Mix well until you have a stiff dough.
- Dust your hands and your work surface with some flour. Knead the dough to form a ball.
- Shape the dough into a round loaf. Do not over-knead the dough.
- With a sharp knife, cut an X into the top of the loaf.
- Put the loaf onto a greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 425-degree F oven until the loaf sounds hollow, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.