Skinny Orange Chicken Recipe: This Healthier Orange Chicken Recipe Is Delicious With No Refined Sugar by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Our 30Second's Resident Chef
Want to have your orange chicken – and eat it, too? Then you will love this skinny (OK, skinnier) orange chicken recipe. I reworked the formula, so it has all the flavor – but no refined sugar. I've even included gluten-free options, in case you're avoiding gluten. I hope you love this delicious chicken dinner recipe as much as I do!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 to 45 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs, or gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- juice and zest of 2 oranges
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 - 4 dried chili peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice
- black or white sesame seeds, for garnish
- sliced scallions, for garnish
Here’s how to make it:
- Line a high-sided baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick silicone baking sheet. Set up a dredging station with three medium-sized bowls – one bowl filled with the flour and seasoned with salt and pepper, another one with the eggs, beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper, and one with panko. Next to the last bowl place the prepared sheet.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Begin dredging the chicken by first pressing it in the flour. Lift to shake off any excess.
- Coat in the in beaten eggs and finally into the in panko, covering thoroughly.
- Arrange the coated chicken on the baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400-degree F oven until no longer pink, 18 to 20 minutes.
- To make the sauce, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the orange juice, soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger and cornstarch. Whisk until combined. Add chili peppers and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is baked and crispy, transfer to a large bowl and drizzle in the orange sauce. Toss well to coat.
- Serve over cooked rice garnished with orange zest, sesame seeds and chopped scallions.