Spinach Muffins for Halloween: How to Make Healthy Green Monster Muffins by Gigi Gaggero
Why not flex your parental power and establish a “green food day" of the week and introduce new green foods on that day? The secret ingredient in these green muffins? Spinach!
- 4 cups raw baby spinach
- 3 overripe bananas
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cane or coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Here’s how to make them:
- In a blender, combine spinach and bananas. Blend until spinach changes to a liquid state.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and allspice. Mix well. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and butter. Mix on high speed until creamy and sugar crystals begin to dissolve, about 3-5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time mixing well in between each addition.
- Slowly beat in the spinach-banana mixture. Add vanilla. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Scoop the batter into two regular-size muffin tins that have been sprayed with cooking spray or two greased loaf pans. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for approximately 30-45 minutes or until muffins spring back to the touch and are slightly browned on edges (60-90 minutes if baking loafs). Test for doneness by running a toothpick in the center. If it pulls out clean, loafs are done.
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.