Trust me when I say, someone at your dinner table will ask you for this recipe!
- 8 ears fresh shucked corn off the cob, or 1 pound frozen white kernels and 1 pound frozen yellow kernels (or all yellow)
- 1/2 onion, peeled halved and studded with 3-4 cloves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 pint unsweetened whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons very cold butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- paprika, for garnish
Here’s how you make it:
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine all the ingredients except for the butter and flour bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- In a small dish combine the flour and butter to form a paste. Mix into the corn and continue to cook until thick.
- Adjust seasoning with salt, white pepper and cayenne. Add additional sugar if you prefer your recipe a bit sweeter. Remove smashed garlic and studded onion before serving and discard. Serve piping hot. Garnish with a sprinkling of paprika and chopped parsley.
Variations: Add chopped fresh pimento for a little kick or place in a casserole dish, stir in 1/2 to 1 cup Parmesan-Reggiano cheese, top with seasoned bread crumbs and bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown, about 8-12 minutes.