Molten Lava Cake Recipe: How to Make Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes in 30 Minutes by Gigi Gaggero
Molten chocolate lava cakes were developed by one of the world’s most famous chefs, Jean-Georges Vongerichten. He says more than a thousand of these cakes are made in his restaurants every day. Here’s my recipe you can make in 30 minutes!
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, plus melted butter for brushing the ramekin
- Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (70%), chopped
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 large whole eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons sifted flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Here’s how to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Brush four 6- to 8-ounce ramekins with melted butter and dust with cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate with the 6 ounces of butter in 30-second intervals, stirring in between. Whisk until smooth.
- In a medium-sized bowl, with a hand whisk, whip the eggs with the sugar until creamy about a minute. Add the chocolate mixture while continually stirring. Combine until completely incorporated. Add the flour and salt and mix to combine.
- Divide the batter among the ramekins, filling two-thirds full. Arrange the ramekins on a high-sided baking sheet.
- Bake the cakes in the center of the oven until the tops and sides are set but the centers are still soft, 7-9 minutes. You will notice the centers will still wiggle. Let stand for 30 seconds, then run the tip of a knife around the rims and invert the cakes onto serving plates. Remove the ramekin just before serving. Waiting will help the cake hold its shape.
- Dust with cocoa powder or powdered sugar and serve with vanilla bean ice cream or whipped cream. Makes four cakes.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Ramekins $6 & Up
Bittersweet Chocolate $4 & Up
Granulated Sugar $3 & Up
Flour $3 & Up
Kosher Salt $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.