Creamy Tortellini, Ham & White Bean Chowder Recipe Satisfies the Soul by Donna John
Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you off from trying this ham and bean chowder recipe. This creamy chowder recipe is really quick and easy to make – and a great way to use up leftover ham from the holidays or a big family meal.
This tasty chowder recipe has ham, creamy beans, vegetables and cheese tortellini in a flavorful, creamy broth. You could omit the tortellini and add another can of white beans, or omit the beans and add the entire bag of frozen tortellini. Cubed red potato would be a great addition to the celery and onions instead of using tortellini. Don't have leftover ham? Use chicken or turkey instead. So many options with this tortellini chowder!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 - 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 box (48 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1/2 of a 1-pound bag frozen cheese tortellini
- 2 cups half and half
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 more minute. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes.
- Add all but 1/2 a cup of the chicken broth to the pot. Stir the cornstarch into the 1/2 cup of broth and add to pot (this prevents lumps). Add beans, ham, mustard, bay leaves, bouillon and herbs/spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook about 20 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook about 3 minutes, or until al dente. Add half-and-half and warm through. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Olive Oil $5 & Up
Chicken Broth $2 & Up
Cornstarch $2 & Up
Cannelli Beans $1 & Up
Dijon Mustard $2 & Up
Chicken Bouillon Granules $2 & Up
Dried Parsley $2 & Up
Dried Oregano $3 & Up
Dried Thyme $3 & Up
Ground Cumin $2 & Up
Red Pepper Flakes $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.