Scrumptious Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe With Sweet Italian Sausage, Sherry & Parmesan by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Host of KSCU 103.3 FM LIVE Food Talk Radio S.F. Bay Area
Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 30 minutes to chill filling
Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 24 2-inch cremini or white button mushrooms, cleaned thoroughly
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 shallots, cleaned
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sherry (optional)
- 3/4 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage (or links removed from the casings)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small confetti (cut thin matchsticks, then into very small dice pieces)
- 2/3 cup panko
- 5 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Here’s how you make it:
- Remove the stems from the caps and place the stems inside the bowl of your food processor. Add garlic, parsley, shallots, walnuts, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Pulse until everything is pea sized. Set aside.
- Cut a very thin slice off the rounded edge of the mushrooms so that they won't wobble. Add the pieces to the mixture.
- Place the prepared mushroom caps in a bowl and toss with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and a good dusting of salt and pepper. Remove the mushroom caps from the bowl and place the rounded side down on a high-sided baking sheet lined with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside. Keep bowl available for future use.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the mushroom and herb mixture from the food processor. Sauté until the mushrooms are soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the sausage. Stir to crumble and to incorporate the mushroom mixture evenly throughout.
- When sausage is cooked, about 8 to 10 minutes, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sherry. Return to heat and cook an additional minute. Place the cooked sausage mixture into the bowl you tossed the mushrooms in earlier. Set aside to cool.
- Once the mixture has cooled, add the cream cheese, Parmesan, panko and the red bell pepper confetti. Add about 7 to 8 twists of freshly ground pepper and taste. Adjust seasoning with salt, if necessary. Mix to combine. Refrigerate for a minimum 30 minutes, covered.
- Fill each mushroom generously. Mound high. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan the last 2 minutes of baking. Remove and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
Note: Mushrooms can be stuffed ahead a few hours, covered and refrigerated until guests arrive, then bake and serve. Learn more about how to clean mushrooms.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.